- The Shack, by Wm. Paul Young
- Sex God, by Rob Bell
- The Last Temptation of Christ, by Nikos Kazantzakis
- More Ready than you Realize, by Brian McLauren
- Leadership Essentials by Greg Ogden & Daniel Meyer
- It was hard for me to get into The Last Temptation of Christ because I was so confused about what was going on, who was who and how something could be so "off" from the biblical narrative, but also so "close". I was LOST! Then, I adjusted in my mind, "It is fiction, just keep reading." Then, I was okay... until the end... I was getting pretty pissed off by the last couple chapters... I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but the "dream" Jesus was having got me closer to imagining what temptations he may have really gone through when he walked on this earth.
- I almost thought he was going to give into them (the temptations). What would this world be like if he had not died and rose again? AHHH! I can't go there, because I believe that the biblical accounts are true.
- Have you ever imagined that Jesus as a human had similar longings to what we have? For marriage, for sex, for deep friendship that doesn't backfire on us? To be known and accepted completely by other humans? If he was truly a human and truly a diety at the same time I do think he would have these REAL temptations, not just a good story that we think about happening 2000 years ago, but real life struggles. *I'm not saying he had all of these, but he could have??
- Yet, he conquered these temptations. He was able to submit himself to God and be selfless enough to give up the longings that were so appealing.
- I think the major thing that I have been learning is how REAL the Bible is... REAL in a way that is beyond the mythical stories that only carry trite phrases or life lessons for us to glean to help ourselves, but true stories of real people who God is working through. These people are examples and hope for us.... just consider the book of Hebrews in the New Testament...
A combination of experience, scripture, books, prayer, calling, & reflection... It will keep going.
Have you learned or read anything good recently?