Sunday, May 3, 2009

AIDS Walk & Ride












Yesterday was an eventful day for many in the Visio Dei community! For the third year in a row we participated in the Alliance of AIDS Services, NC Walk & Ride. The first 2 years I did the 30 mile bike ride, the first year I cried, the second year I cursed, and then this year I had the bright idea of doing 60 miles to add to the pain... seriously? Yep!

Well, it was awesome. I had my iPod with me this year which helped a ton. I actually didn't listen to it until about mile 20. But I loved listening to my skitzo music collection, a little Amy Grant, a little Beyonce, a little Phil Whickam, a little Colbie Cailat, and the some Ludakris... anyways It helped the time pass. I also was inspired because our team was the top in donations and participants. Go Team Visio Dei! Thank you to all who contributed!

Our team was awesome. We had some mountain bikers out there, some folks who hadn't ridden their bikes in over a year and then some who smoked everyone, plus those of us in between.

These pictures kind of show a play by play of the experience, Pre-Race, Half Way--- Mile 45 or so, and then the end. I really think that was the best burrito I have ever had!

I think one of the things that made it most enjoyable for me this year was that I let go of a little bit of my competitiveness. I was competitive with myself in that I did the 60 miles, but not with other people. I wasn't able to keep up with Shannon, Scott & Amy except the first mile or so after each rest stop, but I was okay with that. I have to admit that one of the reasons I cried the first year is because I thought I was going to finish last. Its a slow learning process for me. I'm not going to be the best at everything...

Well, it was fun and I'm glad I did it. So far I'm not too sore, we'll see how I feel in the morning.

No comments: