Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Big Island VA









On Sunday afternoon Matt and I got to venture out to the country to visit my Aunt Martha, Uncle Melvin, and cousins Sara, Teresa and Kim. Sara just graduated from college so lots of family were out there.

This was only my second venture out to the country side and it was lots of fun. One of Melvin's multiple 'jobs' is raising cows. Matt and I got to to help feed them.

We were give the opportunity to ride his 4 wheeler around their 80 acre plot of land. It was beautiful, fun and little scary at times. I think my husband looks hot on that sweet ride!!

We rode right up into the middle of a herd of cattle. Seeing the 2-3 ton bull about 5 feet away was a bit disconcerting, but I feel like I did a pretty good job hanging in there. I even got to drop the feed bucket in and have the cows quickly surround me. You better believe I dropped the feed and ran like a little girl!

Matt got right into character though. It was neat to see him be into it. There were a few cows that escaped from a hole in the fence and they had to chase them back in. Pretty sweet!

I'm glad I have all different sorts of family members. Fun times!

7 comments:

Kim Smith said...

Your adventures as husband and wife never cease to amaze me! :)

Anonymous said...

those cows look a lot prettier in pictures than they did up close. the mama

traci said...

I wish I had gotten a picture of you sitting in the most middle of the cab of the truck as possible! So much fun!

Anonymous said...

what? can't you tell i'm a farm girl at heart?

Lauren H said...

Big Island is where I used to work! That is where the Society of St. Andrew is (www.endhunger.org) - the organization that does Harvest of Hope camps. :) Beautiful middle of nowhere, huh??

traci said...

That is awesome! I did a harvest of hope camp just after college with the youth from covenant and it was awesome. I didn't know that you worked for them. how long did you do that?

Lauren H said...

Yeah! 2.5 years... until last May. Still volunteer with them now :) You and your hubby should come to one sometime, there are lots of Intergenerational weekends in the Fall!