Tuesday, July 29, 2008

An easy opportunity to affect lives

If you have been reading my blog for long, you know that I recently read the book Red Letters by Tom Davis who is involved with several organizations to help provide care for orphans in Africa, specifically related to with the AIDS crisis that is so evident there.

Through the process of posting and thinking about what I can and should do with this I have been connected with several other internet bloggers who keep expanding my realm of possibilities to affect social change.

Today, I was reading Mike's post in reflection on Tom's article and found a link to Saint's Coffee. This company is a fair trade coffee distributor that partners with Children's Hope Chest and 5 for 50 to feed children. They do this through the proceeds they receive from our coffee orders. You can find out all the details on their website.

I just ordered one pound of whole been St. George the Dragon Slayer Blend. It is their signature blend. Consider the situation that I may be helping, the next comment may be a bit shallow, but the only draw back I saw when looking at the site was the shipping cost. To ship one pound of coffee it was $6.52 when the coffee only cost $11. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I also recently had a not to great experience with another local/organic food distributor that left me a bit skeptical of selecting products online for consumption. There is just something about touching and seeing thing first...

However, it has been over a week since I chewed any gum, which probably cancels out the price of shipping for this coffee :)

Anyways, if you are a coffee drinker or care about children who are suffering from or who have lost their parents to AIDS then this is one opportunity that seems like a win/win.

4 comments:

Dana E. said...

Maybe you should buy a "test" sample and see how great this coffee is. Then if it's good, maybe start a funding thing where you buy it in bulk and sale it here so that people who like to benefit organizations but want to "touch and see" can do both. We could even use it some mornings at church and use it as a plug to get more people involved.

Who knows...just a thought.

Mike Morrell said...

Traci, I have some Saints Coffee samples here that I'd love to give you, to give out to Visio Dei like Dana is suggesting. Let me know - and thanks for the shout out!

traci said...

awesome... are you going to be jubilee on monday? i can get them from you then

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing some of this coffee. I'm drinking it this morning. It's yummy and I can't help but feel both good about your purchase yet depressed about orphaned kids.

Natalie