Monday, August 18, 2008

How to Hypermile

My husband makes life interesting for me in many ways. One of the most recent experiments that he was doing is hypermiling. He read some article describing it and decided to try it out. It was pretty entertaining for a while... then he got a new car and I think the discipline to do it has worn off a bit. However, I've been driving the Honda more now and am starting to experiment with it my self.


My how to of the day on Google was How to Hypermile... if you are curious check it out.

2 comments:

Shannon Smith said...

I didn't read the article you linked, but I saw a piece on 60 minutes about this. One of the things they suggested was driving the speed limit. So, I've been trying to go 65 while driving on I-40. I can't say that I have seen that big of an improvement in my mpg though.

chewie said...

you really have to drive 55... apparently, that's the breakpoint where a lot more energy is required to overcome the effects. CR did a test and found that on a Toyota Camry, they got a 5mpg improvement going from 75 to 65 and another 5mpg going from 65 to 55.

I sometimes draft behind 18 wheelers... I know you're not suppose to, but I don't get that close. Anyway, I think my milage has gone up ~12-15% on my Bronco by employing some of the hypermiling methods.