Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Swinging from the Monkey bars

If you know me very well, this may come as a surprise because I love being upside down these days and often got thrown to or stood on top of very high places... but, it wasn't always this way.

(Mom please correct my details if I get the ages wrong)... I think I was turning 5... it was nearing my birthday and I was freaking out. I didn't want to be 5. I was crying hysterically and my mom asked me what was the matter, shouldn't I be excited about my birthday? My response... "I don't want to have to hang upside down from the monkey bars." My mom, "What?" Me, "When you turn 5 you have to hang upside down from the monkey bars and I don't want to." My mom, "You don't have to do anything you don't want to. Who told you that?" Me, "no one, told me, but Corey does it and he is 5."... My comparison with my bro started at an early age... I'll tell the shoe laces story later.

Eventually I was able to hang upside down from the monkey bars all by myself. I did with the patience of parents who stood beside me as I let go one hand at a time... later on I was the one scaring them with my tricks.... so my analogy doesn't work perfectly, but its the picture that came to mind when I read this...


God, "Follow me beyond what you can control, beyond where your own strength or competencies will take you and you will experience me, my power, my love."

This happens when we risk the vulnerability of a child and trust in our father. This doesn’t mean that we abandon our gifts and talents, but God wants us to take us on an adventure.


I sure am glad I turned 5 and hung upside down from the monkey bars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

me too..it was actually when you were turning four....and yes , you went above and beyond hanging upside down!! you still do! love, mama

p.s. i have not seen your brother hang upside down in awhile!!