Monday, August 6, 2007

Watching our Words

Again, the words of scripture challenge me to think differently about my heart and my actions that flow out of my heart.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs tht it may benefit those who listen.
--Ephesians 4:29

My husband and I do a couple's devotional about once a week and this was the verse that we talked about yesterday. It is a challenge. In our marriage we came to the conclusion that for the most part we do a good job of encouraging each other and building each other up, but sometimes we take cheap shots or just don't think about how our words could hurt the other person. Its not only in marriage that we face this challenge though...

Why do I get a kick out of making fun of other people sometimes?

Even writing this blog has helped me to filter my thoughts. I ask myself, how is what I write going to be taken by those who read it. I recognize more and more that I need to consider this advice from Paul and truly apply it my life on a consistent basis. I generally think of myself as a positive, encouraging person (confident too :) But sometimes, I catch the attitude of my heart desiring to bubble over with unwholesome talk that would not be beneficial to anyone. For this I ask forgiveness, for this I pray for guidance, for this I am thankful for grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good word traci. love, mom