Friday, March 21, 2008

Reflection

Last night we held a Seder meal service to identify with and reflect on what Jesus and his disciples would have done the day before Jesus was crucified many years ago.

I had the privilege of preparing the meal for us. I felt like I was on a scavenger hunt for two days... and then I hoped and prayed that the night would be meaningful for all who were there.

Honestly, for me, the preparation was more meaningful than the two hours actually going through everything. I think it was because I was a bit anxious about everything running smoothly (talk about Martha and Mary moment).

This morning though I started reflecting on it all... I took some time to read through John (ch. 13-19). I had read these passages many times in my life, but I can't recall putting them in the context of night before Jesus was crucified. It made so much more sense to me that Jesus would be having an intimate conversation with his disciples.

The disciples would have just recalled, bitterness, redemption from slavery, the need for hope.
They would have just experienced service from their king, confusion about who Jesus was and is, the promise of the holy spirit, an new command: Love one another.

Jesus promised them peace, he promised them that the world would hate them, he promised them truth.

There is a lot to this story. One of my friends recently told me that it sounded like a ghost story. How can we believe it?
Pilate even asked Jesus, "What is truth?"

Its important for us all to reflect on the willingness of Jesus obedience to His father and the promises that come along with following him... if we do believe...

No comments: